Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Tommy Walker: I Have A Hope


I have been listening to Tommy Walker for many years, as my dad attends his church and plays in his worship team.

His new album is different than most of his others, as previously Tommy did the majority of his albums as live recordings, and this one he did in the studio. His live albums are great, and really capture the congregational aspect of his worship leading, and the studio albums he's tried before have always been "in-house." Now, officially signed with Maranatha Music, he's gotten together with a great producer, Ed Cash (who's also worked with Chris Tomlin), and the result is phenomenal.

Tommy is a much different style of leader than the popular Chris Tomlin/Matt Redman/Charlie Hall sound. Tommy is a highly educated jazz musician, and his songwriting is complex and soulful. At times this may have alienated him by placing his songs a little outside the access of many church musicians, but I appreciate the skill and craft with which he composes.

His new recording: I Have A Hope is a great worship album, and a great change of pace from the Tomlin/Redman/Hall sound that you hear everywhere else (don't get me wrong, I love those guys, but this is a wonderfully fresh sound).

It's available from Tommy's website, and it's also on iTunes. I recommend the track "Hallelujah, We Will Sing" which is an epic song describing the hope of heaven.

While you're there, check out his other projects, as they're all fantastic (even the other studio recordings).

No comments: