Friday, March 14, 2008

Good Christian Music: Needtobreathe

I always have people asking me about "good Christian music," especially parents wanting to find clean music for their kids to listen to. Unfortunately, I've been out of the loop of "CCM" (contemporary Christian music), for quite some time, but I've recently made a more concerted effort to keep up to date on creative and unique bands.

I think one reason I haven't followed too closely over the years is that Christian music has always been behind the "world's" music, and often times, a "new" Christian band will come out that tries very hard to sound like a popular secular artist. I have rarely heard a Christian artist/band that blazed any new musical trails, and in the last decade or so, the existing branches of Christian music genres all seemed to melt together (especially in the light of the "worship music" explosion; it seemed like everyone and their brother had a "worship project" or "worship album"). That being said, it's important to realize that Christians can still make "Christian" music without doing a "worship" album.

As I find new music to recommend to you, I'll talk more about the ideas that we have about the music we listen to, and we'll think about what guidelines the Bible gives us for what we listen to, and also try to identify the guidelines that we impose on ourselves, and discern the difference.

The first band I'd like to recommend is called "Needtobreathe." Their second album, "The Heat," is very upbeat, and full of creative musicianship. Needtobreathe combines soaring rock, pop, soul, folk, and a little R&B soul in their songs, and if you like such bands as The Black Crowes, Switchfoot, Train, Collective Soul, Counting Crows, and U2, you'll probably enjoy Needtobreathe.

Check out their website to hear some of their songs.

No comments: