Friday, November 2, 2007

Preparing for Worship: November 4

I'm recovering from a sudden and nasty bout with the flu as I write this, but I should be all good to go for Sunday morning!

This week I've been savoring God's forgiveness. I am a sinful, sinful person, and when I start to think of myself too much, others around me suffer. I go into these modes of "forgetfulness" with my wife, where she and I will plan to do something, and then I'll go and double book myself, and it's usually her who gets the cancellation. Or she'll ask me to do something for her (pick up something from the store after work, look up something for her on the internet, or call when I'm going to be home later than I anticipated), and I'll just completely forget to do it. I notice that I become more forgetful when I become more selfish. All of those things take second place to what I think is in my best interest at that moment. Inevitably, those things start to add up, and each new time I forget something, her frustration is compounded exponentially. We have a few "discussions" and both get frustrated with each other. Sometimes this can last for a while, but when we finally talk it all out, and forgiveness is given, it's like a weight has been lifted.

Now take that same weight, the weight of a relationship that is not at peace, and multiply it to an infinite degree, and we get our relationship with God before salvation. When I think of how gracious and merciful Jessica is for forgiving me for those selfish things, it points me to how God, who is perfectly righteous and holy, who cannot tolerate ANY sin EVER, AT ALL, placed his Son on that cross in my place, and poured out his infinite wrath and punishment on him instead of me.

That thought has made God's mercy and forgiveness a little sweeter for me this week, and I can't wait to meet together with you all to praise God for those things and more! I know that some of you have encountered similar trials this week, and have seen God's faithfulness in many different ways, whether he's given you peace to deal with those trials, or taken them away completely, he's proved himself faithful time and again. Feel free to post on the blog about some of those things if you'd like. It's encouraging for members of the body to hear how God is working in their brothers' and sisters' lives, and Sunday morning just wouldn't be long enough to hear everything that he is doing!

Now, speaking of this Sunday, Pastor Todd is preaching on the requirements of an elder this Sunday. This is an important passage in the life of our church as it is a goal of the church in the near future to call an elder board to leadership at Crossroads. As we hear what God requires of those in leadership, let's also use these things to look at our own lives. Read through 1 Timothy 3:1-7, and think about how your own lives measure up to these standards.

We're going to offer God our songs of praise this Sunday, praising him for his goodness, love, and mercy, and also reflecting on the work of Christ on the cross, as we take communion together.

We'll begin the morning with the song "Good To Me" which puts our hearts and minds in the right mindset of humility before our God as we come together to worship. After a short time of announcements and greeting, we'll see a short slide show recap of the ministry that our people had at Hope Gardens a few weeks ago, and we'll go right into the song "Enough" that reminds us that God is always more than enough for our lives, and when we are tempted to look to other things to fill us, that it is only himself that is satisfying! Then we'll sing "Your Love Oh Lord" which comes from Psalm 36 and praises God for his unmeasurable love. As we turn our attention to God's Word, we'll sing "May The Words (Psalm 19)" that express our desire to be a blessing unto God through our words, thoughts, and deeds.

After Pastor Todd preaches, we'll take communion from the communion stations, and as we meditate on Christ's sacrifice, we'll respond with two songs: "Jesus Paid It All" and "Forever My Love (The Nails In Your Hands)." Communion is such an awesome command of Christ, and it keeps us near to the cross, that we may never "move on" from it so as to forget its power.

I look forward to worshiping with you this weekend!

1 comment:

Linda Gray said...

Just a not to thank you, Paul, for suggesting the book Unceasing Worship. I did pick it up and began reading. Forgive my first impression that the book was little more than some hair-splitting word-smither pouring out philosophy that was generally obvious. . . smile. . .but the more I read, the more I saw that there were regular intervals of brilliantly spoken and powerfully true statements that were worth learning.
My favorite line in the book thus far reads—“I would encourage all contemporary songwriters to go beyond the usual worship-related constraints and to explore the whole counsel of God, the extreme width and depth of the human condition, to leave not doctrinal stone unturned and to make sure that the body of Christ is fully equipped to sing its way through the entire catechism of the work of God.”
Uhhh. . . that pretty much says it.