Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Hope and Holiness

Tonight was a great night at Foundation Youth Bible study. Kyle taught from 1 Peter 1:13-16.

We talked about preparing our minds for action, and setting our hope on Christ. Kathleen Perdisatt shared her testimony before we sang, and she talked about the times in her life when she's tried to take control, and pursue things in her life that God has not lead her to. She recounted how God faithfully shut the door on those things in her life and, although sometimes it was painful, brought him back to his will for her life.

We sang some songs that talked about this same idea:

"Seeking You as a precious jewel, Lord, to give up I'd be a fool; You are my all in all!"

"You are my supply, my breath of life, still more awesome than I know"

"More than all I want, more than all I need...More than all I know, more than all I can see; You are more than enough for me!"

"All of You is more than enough for all of me, for every thirst and every need. You satisfy me with your love, and all I have in You is more than enough!"

"In Christ alone my hope is found, he is my light, my strength, my song"

What things are we setting our hope on?? How often are we setting our hope on things other than Christ!! Don't we know that those things, though they may deliver for a time, are ultimately unfulfilling and will pass away? Apparently I don't believe that all the time, because I am constantly setting my hope on useless things.

Here's a list of some of the things people said they put their hope in:
-their standing with others (reputation)
-education
-themselves!
-cell phones (these are 7th-12th graders remember?)
-friends

What a great reminder to consider the things that we are putting our hope in. We live in a busy world, and we can get so focused on accomplishing all the tasks we have in a day, that we forget to set our hope on things above, and not on finishing our "To-Do" lists.

What are some ways that you remind yourself to put your hope in Christ???

No comments: