Tuesday, December 29, 2009

New Song: "All I Have is Christ"

Hey guys, we're learning a new song this week from Sovereign Grace ministries called "All I Have is Christ." The lyrics are honest and God-glorifying, and the melody is beautiful and soul stirring.

Here are the lyrics, and a video is below:

I once was lost in darkest night
Yet thought I new the way
The sin that brought this joy in life
Had led me to the grave
I had no hope that You would own
A rebel to Your will
And if You had not loved me first
I would refuse You still!

But as I ran my hell-bound race
Indifferent to the cost
You looked upon my helpless state
And led me to the cross
And I beheld God's love displayed
You suffered in my place
You bore the wrath reserved for me
Now all I know is grace!

Hallelujah! All I have is Christ!
Hallelujah! Jesus is my life!

Now Lord I would be Yours alone
And live so all might see
The strength to follow Your commands
Could never come from me
O Father use my ransomed life
In any way You choose
And let my song forever be
"My only boast is You!"


4 comments:

Steve said...

You might find the following blogs of interest about C.J. Mahaney and the group he leads:

www.sgmsurvivors.com

www.sgmrefuge.com

They tell another side. Hope this helps.

Paul said...

Hi Steve,

Yes, I have seen both of those sites before. It's so unfortunate that people have such rotten experiences sometimes while dealing with God's people.

I don't think this is something unique to Sovereign Grace however, I think it can happen in ANY church because we are all sinful people, and are capable of making bad decisions.

I think when people commit to a church, there is a temptation to believe that the church is perfect, and then they are shocked and appalled when the church lets them down. When people expect perfection from a church and its leadership, they are basically dooming it to fail them because we are all sinners.

The day is coming though, when we'll be free of sin forever, and in the presence of our God! Until then, may Christ be the head of the church; may His Spirit guide, direct, and empower us; and may God be glorified in us!

Steve said...

Paul

I am glad you are aware of these sites. There is also two sides to things.

Yes leaders are "imperfect." From what I have seen written that is a typical phrase SGM Members will make in response to various problems being brought up and is true that these leaders are "imperfect."

What is sad is when the leaders don't admit their "imperfections" or fail to address valid issues raised. It is also sad when one defines "gossip" and "slander" in a way that is used to suppress any dissension.

Thus some of what is reported on these blogs can be expected to happen at any church but other things one wouldnt expect.

Paul said...

I agree Steve, in the event of a valid mishandling of an issue, leadership needs to be held accountable, and if need be, confronted with any sin that might be involved so that they might repent and be forgiven.

Tragic circumstances and consequences will leave people scarred and hurt, and leadership needs to be teachable and humble in realizing whatever shortcomings they may have contributed to the situation.

Most importantly, we can be sure they will be held accountable for their decisions and actions by the Father, who judges all things purely and rightly.

Thanks for your comments, they are helpful in remembering the frailty of man, and the dependence we must have on the Spirit!