Friday, December 28, 2007

Preparing For Worship: December 30th

So it's done. Christmas came and went. My wife wants me to put away the Christmas tree (the fake one). I think that the older I get, the less climactic Christmas becomes. When I was younger, Christmas morning brought the realization of desires I had harbored for many months. As I get older, I want less "stuff" but I still expect some sort of amazing Christmas experience. Unfortunately, I look back and see that no matter how much I was "aware" of the real joy of Christmas, I always relied on the physical stuff (the gifts, the big meals with family, etc.) for the actual fulfillment.

I came across a blog post from Desiring God ministries called "Hopeful Post-Christmas Melancholy." I think it was meant as a tool for teaching children, but I found it very helpful as I considered my own Christmas experience.

Anyways, as we now skyrocket towards a new year, I want us not so much to focus on all the things that we're gonna change, or do differently this next year, but I want us to focus on the things that will never change. God is unchanging. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. This world will pass away, but God's Word endures forever.

His Word tells us that it is good and pleasant for us to dwell together in unity, and to worship God together. So we're going to begin our service this week with "How Good And Pleasant." Then we have a few ministry and fellowship opportunities to let you know about before we continue in song with "Indescribable" "How Great Thou Art" and "Beautiful One." All of those songs talk about the majesty and glory of God, which never fades or tarnishes! They also talk about the glory that God that he displayed in sending Jesus to die for our sins, which hopefully is still fresh in our minds, having just celebrated his birth (talking to myself there!).

Pastor Todd will be giving us some new year's resolutions for the new year from 1 Corinthians. The apostle Paul gave these instructions to the church in Corinth around the year 55 AD, and they are just as timely and God honoring today.

We'll sing some songs that help us respond to God's truth, with "Breathe," which acknowledges that our very life and being are dependent on God, and in the same way, our spiritual lives should be dependent on his Words. We'll close with "I Stand In Awe" and take that mindset as we head out into the world.

See you Sunday!

No comments: